A weird video has surfaced featuring about thirty or forty seconds of Cheryl Cole‘s new single, “Promise This.”
Here’s what we can ascertain thus far:
– Cheryl begins with a fast-paced take on the classic French children’s song, “Alouette.” In a brief moment of Wikipedia-inspired ADD, I’ve learned this song is about “plucking the feathers off a skylark.” This makes the song both (A) immediately nuts-o-clock and (B) nothing short of inspired.
– There’s a lot of talk about wings. I guess the skylark reference is apt, after all.
– The beat can so far be classified as ‘Spacey Pop/R&B.’ Most immediately, it reminds me of Electrocute‘s work with Britney (“Rock Me In”).
– It also vaguely reminds me of a faster version of “Rain On Me” from Cole’s first record (which would make sense, given it was done by the same producer, Wayne Wilkins.)
– The chorus is decidedly gorgeous, what with the piano and all. Pretty dark thematically as well. “Promise this, if I die before I wake…” I wonder what comes next? IS IT ABOUT MALARIA?
– She’s singing more, and it’s already ten times better than half of 3 Words.
NOW GET ON WITH IT AND RELEASE THE SONG.