So, okay: Lorde gets it.
Over the summer, the Pure Heroine alt-pop princess was enlisted to singlehandedly curate the Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1 soundtrack. A tough task for any teen! But, as it turns out, she did a fucking bang-up job.
In fact, the list of performers that made the cut is genuinely better than I probably would have ever imagined — largely because the tracklisting reads like MuuMuse fan fiction. The only thing missing is a Britney duet with Janet Jackson, but otherwise? Fucking flawless.
Who’d she pick?
Tove Lo. Queen.
Charli XCX. Queen.
Bat For Lashes. Queen.
HAIM (as a feature). Queens.
GRACE. FUCKING. JONES.
1. Stromae – “Meltdown” (Feat. Lorde, Pusha T, Q-Tip, And HAIM)
2. CHVRCHES – “Dead Air”
3. Tove Lo – “Scream My Name”
4. Charli XCX – “Kingdom” (Feat. Simon Le Bon)
5. [Track 5] [TBD] 6. Raury – “Lost Souls”
7. Lorde – “Yellow Flicker Beat”
8. Tinashé – “The Leap”
9. Bat For Lashes – “Plan The Escape”
10. Grace Jones – “Original Beast”
11. Lorde – “Flicker (Kanye West Rework)”
12. XOV – “Animal”
13. The Chemical Brothers – “This Is Not A Game (Feat. Miguel And Lorde)”
14. Lorde – “Ladder Song”
I just…it’s all too beautiful. New songs from all of these perfect acts?
Also, what is Track 5 going to be? At this rate, maybe it’s my aforementioned Britney-Janet dream duet? Or an entire Rihanna album in one song? WHO KNOWS. Anything could happen when Lorde’s in charge, apparently.
Seriously though, kudos to Lorde for selecting what is essentially a “Best Of 2013/4” list in soundtrack form (PLUS GRACE FUCKING JONES), and for having the good sense to select an overwhelming amount of incredibly talented women for a film with a strong female lead.
And now, while dreaming of New Grace, a suitably sinister selection…
‘The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1’ will be released on November 17. (iTunes)